Thursday 29 January 2015

The Wandering Coach

There's something about walking alongside a tumbling winter river, listening to Stairway to Heaven, that brings a smile to my face.

On Monday I found the old Cockermouth to Penrith railway line that skirts the Greta river out of Keswick. Unlike most lakeland walks, it's hard to make a worthwhile circular route. So I set off with the simple intention to walk along it until I felt like turning around and heading back. I knew that it was five miles to Threlkeld and there is a cafe there - so a possible goal, an incentive and a way to replenish my energy.

I passed various people with the telescopic walking poles that mark the serious hiker. The performance hiker. And I saw groups of people with dogs that mostly ran in circles around their owners and sniffed out long forgotten items from the undergrowth. The amblers and the anarchic explorers.


I like the performance focus. Success is clear. You can mark off your progress. All involved know how they're doing. But I did enjoy the liberation of just walking the path I'd chosen. Of stopping to enjoy an unexpected vantage point. Of resting when I wanted. Of sitting in  silence in an old railway workers' hut (until the dogs arrived). And it made me aware that when I focus unduly on where I am going or how much progress I've made, it's easy to stop noticing what's happening around me. There's so much to see when I do.

As I went, I focussed on what was appearing around bends, from within tunnels, across arch-spanned iron bridges, and decided whether it drew my interest enough to continue. And a little bit of my performance focus crept in: I wanted to be able to say I got to Threlkeld (after all, five miles is not far). So I continued
until I hit a major roadway and found a sign saying: Threlkeld 1/4 mile. Easy. But I couldn't immediately find the cafe so I adapted, waited 10 minutes by the unexpected bus stop, got the bus back and had tea by the fire at home.

And my future approach to walking? Sometimes from A to B, with B a stretch goal, stopping at key way stations, ideally with a pub at the end. Sometimes, wandering with intent, noticing what I notice, stopping when I stop, with the goal to savour where the path takes me. Just like my coaching really, walking alongside my client, with them setting the direction and me as the guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment